Thursday, May 8, 2008

Media Influence on Society 2

In my last post I didn't give the meaning of media so I will do that now.When most people think of media they tend to think about t.v., the news or radio but media can be any type of communication as long as it reaches a mass of people. Cd's, dvd's, and computers also are considered media because many people around the globe use these types of communication. To further progress my studies I decided to look for statistics. I found a website that gives statistics on how scientists think that children are being effected by media. Statistics show that children are affected by violence in media at any age, but young children are most vulnerable to the effects of violence in media because:
1) They are more easily impressionable.
2) They have a harder time distinguishing between fantasy and reality.
3) They can not easily discern motives for violence.
4) They learn by observing and imitating.

Studies also show that young children who see media violence have a greater chance of exhibiting violent and aggressive behavior later in life, than children who have not seen violent media. I personally found these facts somewhat disturbing, considering all the violence that exists in today's t.v. shows and video games. I'm no stranger to violent media myself though. I was playing Grand Theft Auto at the age of 12! The game definitelty was fun and relieved alot of stress for me but it sends the wrong messages. I never took it too seriously but other kids who happen to grab hold of an older siblings games might.

www.mediafamily.org/facts/facts_vlent.shtml

No comments: